Friday, May 26, 2006

Omaha, NE to Seaside, OR

Such a change--climate, temperature, land contour and elevation. Driving along the Interstates, I endlessly marvel at the explorers [Lewis and Clark] and the wagon train immigrants that covered this same land but under much more harsh conditions.

Nebraska was hot and more boring [driving] that later in the growing season would have been. This is the land that is irrigated with long sprayers on wheels in the fields,in large circles [as easily seen from the air]but the season has barely begun, thus little use of those interesting sprayers. I enjoy seeing fields of wheat, corn, grasses but too early--oh well, another trip/time. I did see a familiar sight, the roadside lakes created when the Interstates were built, that have been turned into 'wayside' parks for a family picnic. We used these, years ago, traveling cross-country when my children were small, as a very welcome respite from the heat and a cheap place for our lunch break. Good to see them still in use.

Wyoming had elevation and SNOW, not coming down but along the roadsides, held by the long 'snow fences' that dominate the scene. Near Ft. Bridger, a whole mtn range was outlined against the sky, covered with snow--beautiful--especially from a distance. Driving in the snow, I would have been much less charmed by the sight!! Also saw antelope--several small herds and one lone male with the black, twisted antlers, that make identify quite easy. Not deer, antelope. Never did see any deer, even tho the highway was posted, frequently, for deer crossing.

Utah and Idaho were shorter miles, due to the route I selected but introduced me to southern Oregon. There I again encountered mountain ranges, no snow, but animals[ no antelope]just range cattle and horses. Reached the Columbia River and its series of Dams, even a lock, Cascade locks--quite a river barge route. Fisherman and sport-boaters enjoyed the river too. It looks as mighty as the Mississippi and seems to be just as useful. Approaching the Portland area, the tourist opportunties increase for usage of the river and the traffic picked up too. Thus I was glad to reach and bypass the city and head for the Oregon coast. Arrived in the small town of Seaside.

Spent several days. Even with the rain, enjoyed my respite from driving 400-500 mile days. Explored on foot and by car, and the resulting photos, you've just seen, are the result of my joy.

Today, I'm off to Seattle. Tomorrow, I greet grandson, Stewart and we begin out time together. Looking forward to seeing my familiar world through his eyes. We'll keep you all updated to our discoveries. Keep looking for new postings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home